Monday, August 8, 2022

A Postscript to "Growing Up In 1971."

 (Note.  Sometimes I forget things, such as the two academic related paragraphs I should have included in "Growing Up In 1971."  Neither story is flattering to me.  Nevertheless, here they are.)

In high school, I loved math and science.  I also loved history and current events.  What can I say.  When I enrolled at Rutgers I was confident that I would be able to do well in calculus.  I was wrong.  It turns out, that a good understanding of trigonometry would have been quite beneficial.  However, having missed over half of my senior year in high school because of my back surgery, I also missed over half of the year of trigonometry.  

Thankfully, that year at Rutgers we were able to take classes the first semester on a pass/fail basis.  Also, thankfully, a math whiz (Ramon) who lived across the hall in the language section of the dorm, volunteered to help me.  A lot.  So I was able to pass.  But I also realized that would be the end of my math and science curriculum.  Thereafter, liberal arts it was.

Another first semester class was English composition.  I have no recollection if we were assigned a topic or permitted to discuss whatever we might choose for our first composition.  The assignment was given the first week of classes.  And I have no recollection of the topic I chose.  I wrote the essay in a blue book and turned it in.  I do recall that the grading was done by a teaching assistant, who corrected it in red ink.  If I had to estimate, I'd say that the amount of red ink at least equaled the amount of the blue ink that I used.  Then, the T.A. ended with this classic line:  "This is crap!"

On the bright side, I learned to improve my writing during my years at Rutgers.  However, at that moment, I remember saying to myself:  "Well, Mike, you're off to a great start at Rutgers."

No comments:

Post a Comment