* As we approach July 4th I turned my thinking to the brilliant men who founded this country. Men who created a Constitution and form of government intended to protect the people from themselves and their leaders. Then my thoughts turned to today's leaders, consisting of numerous liars and morons. The lying and lack of common sense is beyond disheartening. It seems to me that the current Administration also has the most scandals since Harding and Nixon. And the most liars.
* We all know the Benghazi lies. National Security Adviser Susan Rice goes on five national talk shows to tell the country that our people died because of a movie video. Our President and Secretary of State repeated the lies for weeks. Then Press Secretary Jay Carney denies White House involvement in altering the CIA talking points. All lies.
* Attorney General Eric Holder lied about his department's refusal to prosecute the New Black Panther Party for voter intimidation in 2008. Holder said the decision was made by career prosecutors and was not a political decision. In fact, according to testimony by one of those career prosecutors, J. Christian Adams, the decision was made by the Associate Attorney General, an Obama appointee. In testimony to Congress on 5/3/11 Holder said he had just found out about the Fast and Furious gun running operation a few weeks earlier. Except, a July, 2010 memo reflected he was told at that time. He authorized the surveillance and tapping of Fox reporter James Rosen's phones, as well as those of his parents. He signed off on the warrant, but later said he never meant to prosecute Rosen. (From the 6/3/13 IBD.)
* At the Ohio State commencement, Obama warned students to reject the voices suggesting that tyranny is just around the corner. Voices that suggest that government is "nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all of our problems." Those same voices, said Obama, suggest "that our brave and creative and unique experiment in self rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted." Well, given all the scandals and lies emanating from the Obama Administration, along with the desire to extend government control and surveillance into every aspect of our lives, why should we trust government? I guess our President would be surprised by a Fox News poll reported on 6/15/13, which found that a mere 5% of the people had a great deal of trust in the federal government. 32% reported a fair amount of trust; while 41% reported not having that much trust in the feds, with a whopping 22% having no trust in the federal government. As our Founders understood, and as Reagan said, it is too often the case that government is the problem, not the solution.
* The people also do not believe IRS claims of a few rogue agents in the Cincinnati office targeting conservative groups. Fox News reported on 6/23/13 that 70% of the people believe the orders came from Washington. Of that 70%, 41% believe the orders came from the White House, and 29% believe the orders came from the D.C. office of the IRS. To put it another way, the people think your Administration is lying, Mr. President.
* What evil characters is the Obama Administration targeting now? Employers who run criminal background checks on job applicants, that's who. What, you say? Isn't that just common sense? Not so according to our racist President and Attorney General. You see, the Obama EEOC believes it constitutes racial discrimination to "choose law-abiding applicants over applicants with criminal convictions." The Obama Labor Department does not want federal contractors to ask about criminal convictions. Obama's Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is investigating Equifax, Experian and TransUnion for racial bias. Said Holder: "The question is not when does affirmative action end, but when does it begin?" And this: "When do people of color truly get the benefits to which they are entitled?" (Information from article by Paul Sperry in the 6/28/13 IBD.) Think we have a President and Attorney General of all the people?
* But no fear. Obama not only favors blacks, he favors Muslims as well, even radical ones. The 6/13/13 IBD reports that, notwithstanding all the spying on Americans, "mosques have been off limits to FBI agents" since October, 2011. Only the Sensitive Operations Review Committee at the Justice Department can okay such surveillance. One wonders if that lack of surveillance allowed the Boston bombers to go undetected. After the attack, the FBI did not even contact the local mosque for possible help in identifying the bombers. It gets better. The National Security Council invited one Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah to the White House. The 6/27/13 IBD reports that bin Bayyah is employed by one Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who advocates for attacks on US soldiers in Iraq, and suicide bombings. During his White House visit, bin Bayyah is alleged to have asked for support for Hamas. It gets better still. According to the 6/25/13 IBD, 400 soldiers will be sent to Egypt on a "peacekeeping mission." They apparently have training in riot suppression. So 2 million Egyptians are demonstrating for Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood to go, and we are sending troops to help Morsi? Not to mention the billions in military aid.
* Recently, Obama gave a speech in Berlin. His opinion regarding terrorism is as follows: "We may strike blows against terrorist networks, but if we ignore the instability and intolerance that fuels extremism, our own freedom will eventually be endangered." Just who is intolerant of whom? It must be apparent to all but Obama that radical Islamic terrorists have no tolerance for him, the West, the US, Israel, Christians, and pretty much everyone who is not Muslim.
* In that same Berlin speech, Obama told us: "I've determined that we can ensure the security of America and our allies, and maintain a strong and credible strategic deterrent, while reducing our deployed strategic nuclear weapons by up to one-third." When and how did he determine that? In college, when he proposed eliminating all nukes? To Medvedev when he said he would have greater "flexibility" after the election? Obama also said he "will not develop new nuclear weapons." So, just curious, how does he believe our aging nuclear arsenal provides a "strong and credible strategic deterrent?" When Democrats still believed in this country, we elected a different kind of President; a different kind of Democrat. John Kennedy said: "only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed." As Reagan later said: "Peace through strength."
* In yet another speech in yet another country (our President does love to travel) Obama told the Irish people: "If towns remain divided - if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can't see ourselves in one another, and fear or resentment are allowed to harden - that too encourages division and discourages cooperation." In 2008 Obama told us he is a citizen of the world. He also would not wear the American flag on his lapel. You see, nations and religions create division in the world. So we need to end them. What else did Obama mean when he said he was a citizen of the world? What else was Obama suggesting when he spoke disparagingly of separate Catholic and Protestant schools? This is John Lennon's "Imagine" world. Of course, there is one slight difference. Obama wants there to be a world government, an all powerful United Nations perhaps. That is why there will be no need for nuclear weapons. Obama would call himself an idealist. Those who are regular readers of this blog know that I refer to such people as "liberals who let their beliefs dictate their reality."
* A final point. I know just who Obama has in mind to be leader of the new world order. After all, he sees him every time he looks in the mirror.