Sunday, May 15, 2022

A Clarification

In my November 28, 2021 post, I explained why I was opposed to capital punishment.  That needs to be clarified.  Yesterday, there was a horrific mass shooting in a market in Buffalo, New York.  Today, there was one inside a church in Orange County, California.  In both of these instances, there is no doubt as to the identity of the shooter.  

In the cases discussed in last November's post, there were no eyewitnesses.  No one was caught in the act of killing.  In Buffalo and in Orange County, the perpetrators were caught in the act.  There were multiple eyewitnesses.  There is no concern about proving the identity of the shooter beyond a reasonable doubt - because there is no doubt whatsoever.    

The only question left for these shooters, is the type of capital punishment and the place it is to be carried out.  These shooters do not deserve a needle in the arm, away from public view.  I think serious consideration needs to be given to a return of public executions - whether by hanging or firing squad.  Yes, you bet I am plenty angry as I write this.  And I have no doubt that some will be horrified by my suggestion.  But I am horrified by evil.  

We need to restore a sense of respect for others.  We cannot do that when so many continue to focus on our differences, such as the color of our skin.  We need to restore a sense of respect for human life.  We need to inculcate a sense of decency in our youth.  And we need to again bring back a sense of shame for wrongdoing.  How we might be able to do all that is the tricky part.  I think a study of the Ten Commandments would be a good start.        

No comments:

Post a Comment