Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Incivility of the Uncivil Left

(Note: As regular readers of this blog know, I recently wrote two posts discussing this issue. See the 1/30/18 post "The Last Acceptable Prejudice," as well as the next one of 2/6/18 entitled "In Case Anyone Needed Further Proof...". As a result of some personal interactions, along with an LA Times Op-Ed, I was prompted to write this further post on the incivility of the Left.)

A Ron Berler wrote an Op-Ed that appeared in the 2/18/18 LA Times. He is 68 years old and was having dinner with a long time friend, a man who had been at his wedding, a man whom Berler said "was important to me." Berler describes their friendship as having "frayed" over a period of 18 months because of Donald Trump. Although they had agreed not to discuss politics, Berler says he "just couldn't help it."

Berler wrote that he just had to have an answer about Trump's character: "...the things he's said and done - the race-baiting, the name calling, the womanizing, the divisive attacks on immigrants and refugees and everyone who opposes him - doesn't that make you question his character?" Of course, what Berler was really asking his friend was this: "What is wrong with you? How can you not detest Trump?" His friend, clearly being more civil, answered as follows: "I don't judge people." While that may be unlikely, I suspect that his friend was trying to politely avoid politics - a topic that they had agreed they would not discuss.

Had Berler asked that question of me, I likely would have given this answer: "How in the world did you support Obama? (He does not say that he did, but it seems to be a fair assumption.) His race-baiting of the Cambridge police, the Ferguson police, and every time a black man was involved with the police. Race relations were set back decades thanks to Obama. What about Obama's name calling and demonization of those who opposed him? From day one he attacked Fox News. He attacked the Tea Party. He attacked all Republicans as wanting dirty air and dirty water, among other accusations. He favored immigrants over American citizens, and mocked Americans who 'cling to their guns and religion.' And lies? Sure, Trump lied about things like the size of the crowd at his inauguration. But Obama lied about important policy decisions. Obama told us: 'If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor; if you like your insurance you can keep your insurance.' Now, what were you asking me about Trump?"

Berler next revealed his true contempt for those who might disagree with him. He consulted with three psychology professors claiming to seek an explanation for the "chasm" that had developed between him and his friend. But his real motivation was revealed a few paragraphs later as he asked one of the professors this question: "Why will a person go to irrational lengths to defend an act that he or she knows is indefensible?" Once again, Berler's real question is: "What is wrong with my friend?" And: "How can anyone defend Trump?" And then Berler asks the third psychologist this question: "What is the likelihood that my friend will return to rational thought?" What sheer arrogance! Berler agreed not to discuss politics with his friend. Having broken that agreement, his friend refused to take the bait. And his friend is the one lacking in rational thought? This is just another example of a Leftist abandoning a long term friendship because they are unable to accept the notion that someone - anyone - might not share their viewpoints. No surprise to those of us who are conservatives.

On a more personal level, I recently ran into a man I have known for 40 years. He is older than I am, and not having seen him in a while, and out of my respect and fondness for him, I approached him and gave him a hug. He was standoffish. I mentioned something about him and his wife getting together with me and my wife. He has known my wife for probably 38 years. He deflected my invitation. Subsequently, I sent him an email indicating that I wanted to apologize for whatever I may have said or done to upset him. Basically, I did not do or say anything. Having read some of my blog posts, he just could not understand my politics. Disappointing? Yes. Hurtful? Yes again. But, as a conservative it is something that I have come to expect from those on the intolerant and uncivil Left.

One more personal note. Our youngest daughter recently went out on a date. During the course of the conversation, the young man uttered these words: "I hate Republicans." Maybe in California he thought it was a safe bet to assume that everyone is a liberal Democrat (which is a Leftist today). While my daughter is definitely more liberal than her Dad, she also loves her Republican Dad. I would like to suggest that this young man might benefit from taking a look at "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

In what may be a rare instance of agreement with Nicholas Kristof, he ended his 2/18/18 column in the NY Times with this: "Civility is not a sign of weakness, but of civilization."

No comments:

Post a Comment