Sunday, August 23, 2026

From "Fed Up" to Disillusioned and Disenchanted, Part I

Lately, I'm just beside myself.  When I wrote the recent 3 part post "I'm Fed Up!  Why Aren't You?" I was, well, fed up.  But it is draining to maintain that level of intensity.  A long time friend recently texted me to say:  "Unlike you, I am not energized by current events; I am exhausted by them...(but) I admire your energy on this stuff."  But, honestly, sometimes I, too, feel drained.  This is one of those times.

What am I to make of a member of my extended family, who said I never asked how they were feeling after Trump won (I know this person is on the Left), and after the Palisades and Altadena fires (I had no idea they had any connection to those areas other than living in LA County).  Conspicuous by its absence was how this Jewish family member felt after the events of October 7.  When Hamas carried out the brutal rape, torture and murder of approximately 1200 Israeli Jews - the worst massacre of the Jewish people since the Holocaust.  So maybe everyone did not react the way I did, with tears and anger and many sleepless nights.  But no reaction at all?

I don't get it.  Within a single lifetime after the creation of the modern state of Israel, Israel means nothing to you?  You have it so good here in America (a country which many of you do not even appreciate), that you are free to support one leftwing cause after the next.  Bret Stephens is a very bright Op-Ed writer, but is also a Never-Trumper.  Here is what he wrote in the November, 2024 edition of Commentary magazine:  "The resurgence of anti-Semitism in the United States has begun to force a fundamental rethink of the way in which at least some American Jews contemplate their place in society:  I call them "October 8 Jews" - those who woke up the day after the attack with a clear understanding of who our friends are not."  He is talking, of course, about how much of America and the world turned on not just Israel for daring to fight back, but on all Jews everywhere. 

Then Stephens said this:  "So many institutions in American life that were once welcoming places for American Jews have turned bad:  elite private schools; human-rights organizations; the literary world; social work; Mideast-studies departments; public school curriculum - the list is long.  In every one of these fields or institutions, October 8 Jews have a clear choice:  Reject, reform, or reinvent them.  What's no longer possible is to pretend that what we have now is acceptable, or that indifference and inaction are viable options."  Here's my problem with that:  how many American Jews never became "October 8" Jews.  For how many American Jews did October 7 never even register?  Because all they care about is Trump.  Trump got rid of abortion, right?  No, he didn't.  

Stephens is not exaggerating when he says so many institutions have turned against the Jews.  The head of the American Jewish Medical Association, Eveline Shekhman, testified on May 20, 2026, before the House Committee on Education and Workforce, Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions.  If you want to see just how bad things are in just this one sector of our society, you should Google her name and request the actual text of her testimony.  Here's one snippet:  "Immediately folowing Hamas's October 7th attacks, a coordinated cmpaign of celebration and funding of "resistance" to Israel's existence was unleashed.  Unbelievably, the healthcare sector was designated as fair game for the promotion of a campaign of demonization and distortion, in particular around the notion that any Jewish healthcare professional was "complicit" in genocide."  

Need a few examples?  A nurse in Portland said she would refuse to treat Jewish patients because she does "not take care of animals."  At a different hospital doctors and nurses were chanting "long live the intifada."  Never to be outdone, in California an antisemitic flyer was circulated with this language:  "We do not want any Zionists or former IDF soldiers who support or have participated in this genocide, taking care of our families."  How about asking Jewish healthcare professionals that they need to renounce Israel if they expect to be accepted in the workplace.  Allow me to ask all readers, Jews and non-Jews alike - do you feel safer with a Jewish healthcare professional, or one who supports the terrorist group Hamas?   

But Trump is the new Hitler, right?  Because what's happening in our country is no different from what happened in 1930's Germany.  But it's not because of Trump.  It is because of the Democrats and the Leftists and the Islamists.  As John Podhoretz wrote, also in Commentary magazine:  "The analogy to 1933 is there, because the mob is there, because the Jew-haters are there, because the genociders are waiting for their chance.  But miraculously - and I think I mean that literally, that "miraculously" there is a force staying their hand.  And it isn't the monster of their nightmares.  It's the president himself, who has empowered his Justice and Education Departments to fight for the rights of Jewish students on campus.  It's the president himself, who targeted the worst anti-Semite in Congress for defeat in the Arkansas primary.  It's the president himself, who has become the best friend the Jewish state has ever had."  To which I would add - it's the president who is doing his best to keep America the best place in the world (outside of Israel) for the Jewish people.         

No comments:

Post a Comment